If you love bubble tea, you have to try this easy, healthy sweet potato boba! These homemade boba pearls are made from sweet potato and tapioca flour and sweetened with stevia. Serve them with milk, fruit tea, or whatever you like!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins
- Cut sweet potato into 1 inch thick pieces.
- Steam sweet potato for 15 minutes or until tender (when you can poke it with a fork easily).
- Peel the skin off the steamed sweet potato, and mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
- Mix in tapioca flour and stevia with a spatula until a dough forms. If the dough seems too sticky, add more tapioca flour until you get a dough that doesn’t stick to your hands when shaping.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into little round balls. After all the dough is used up, lightly dust the boba with some tapioca flour.
- Prepare an ice bath.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potato boba and cook for 1 minute or until they float. Drain and transfer to ice bath immediately. Drain again and the sweet potato boba is ready for use!
- Feel free to use the sweet potato boba as you would with normal boba. I had mine with skim milk and a little bit of brown sugar syrup. Some other serving suggestions are: milk tea, soy milk, black tea, green tea, fruit tea, taro latte, etc.
- You can serve these with plant-based milk for a vegan/ dairy-free treat!
- Feel free to substitute stevia with any other sweetener of choice.