Casserole.. The OG one-pot wonder comfort food. This one is filled with chicken breast, quinoa, black beans and a whole lot of vegetables with a nod to Mexican flavors. Delicious, good for you, and so easy to make. It’s freezer-friendly and perfect for meal-prepping too!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
- Small dice onion, bell peppers and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 355°F.
- Heat up olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced chicken, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Saute until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and drained black beans. Let the mixture come to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Stir in quinoa and Greek yogurt. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before topping with chopped cilantro. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Feel free to substitute chicken with any other protein of choice. Ground beef/ turkey/ crumbled tofu will also be great in this casserole.
- For dairy-free, substitute shredded cheese with non-dairy cheese and Greek yogurt with coconut yogurt or cashew cheese.
- Feel free to adjust amount of chili powder according to your spice tolerance.