Originating from the Walforf-Astoria hotel in New York City over 100 years ago, the Waldorf salad is a classic for a reason. What’s not to love about the perfect blend of apples, celery, walnuts and a creamy dressing? The perfect blend of tartness, sweetness and crunch!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time -
3 - 4
- Dice apple and celery and roughly chop walnuts.
- Make dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Stir in apple, celery, walnuts, raisins and chicken. Mix until combined.
- Lay a bed of salad greens in the serving bowl, then spoon chicken waldorf salad on top. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to one hour until ready to serve.
- For the chicken, simply shred any leftover rotisserie chicken or poached chicken breast. Or you can make it from scratch following the instructions for shredded chicken here . Just be sure to omit the spices.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days but the apples might turn brown from oxidation.
- If you want to be extra fancy, toast the chopped walnuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Use a crispy, tart apple for this salad! I recommend Pink Lady or Granny Smith.