A delicious sandwich filled with creamy, savoury smashed chickpeas. It's a vegan alternative to the classic tuna salad sandwich but so much healthier as it contains no mayo! The chickpea salad also works wonderfully on salads and wraps. Perfect for a filling breakfast or a light lunch!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time -
- Drain chickpeas (reserve liquid in the can) and add to a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until desired texture. Mash slightly if you like it chunkier or mash it more if you prefer it creamier.
- Add tahini, dijon mustard, dill, garlic powder, aquafaba, salt and pepper to mixing bowl. Stir to combine with mashed chickpeas. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Toast bread and prepare the rest of your sandwich toppings.
- Assemble your sandwiches by spoon a generous amount of chickpea salad onto two of the slices of bread, add slices tomatoes and lettuce, then top with the other two slices of bread. Enjoy!
- The chickpea salad will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can also use the chickpea salad as fillings for sandwich wraps, lettuce wraps, or as a mix-in in salads!
- I used sourdough rye bread for the sandwiches but you can use whatever bread you like that suits your dietary needs.
- Feel free to add other toppings or spreads to your sandwich, like hummus, sliced avocado or red onion!