This humble recipe of scrambled egg in a sweet and juicy tomato sauce is arguably the most nostalgia-provoking Chinese dish of all times. It's the ultimate quick and easy meal. And not to mention cheap and delicious as well!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 5 mins
Tomatoes and Sauce
- Wash and cut tomatoes into pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients for the sauce until combined. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and beat with salt and 1 tbsp water until combined. Do not over-beat.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add beaten eggs. Cook as you would scrambled eggs, and remove from skillet immediately once cooked.
- Add sesame oil and tomatoes to skillet and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- Add eggs back to the skillet, stir-fry briefly for 1 minute or until sauce thickens up to your liking. Serve with steamed rice.
- The recipe for this dish differs slightly in each household. Adjust amount of ketchup and stevia as you wish.
- Substitute stevia with any sweetener of your choice.
- You can peel the skin off and de-seed the tomatoes before cooking if you like for a smoother sauce.