This delicious pasta dish is low carb yet nutritious and delicious! Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids and give the mushroom sauce a luscious creamy texture without the need for dairy, and the high fiber in the shirataki noodles will keep you full and satisfied for a long time!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins
Prepare the shirataki noodles:
- Drain the noodles, then rinse in a large sieve under tap water for a few minutes.
- Transfer noodles into a pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain noodles and transfer to a non-stick skillet.
- Pan fry the noodles (without any oil) over medium heat for a few minutes. This is to remove as much water as possible to enhance the texture of noodles. Keep turning the noodles with tongs and take care not to let them dry out too much. Now the noodles are ready.
Make the sauce:
- Heat up a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add sliced mushrooms and stir fry, without oil, for 5 minutes, until most of the moisture evaporates.
- Add olive oil and stir fry mushrooms for 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, miso and water/almond milk in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrap down the sides if necessary.
- Transfer the sauce and peas to skillet with the browned mushrooms.
- Cook mixture over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until the peas are cooked to your liking. Add a splash of water to thin out the sauce if it gets too thick in the process.
- Season with salt, black pepper and white pepper to taste.
- Add shirataki noodles to skillet and toss to coat.
- Top with more freshly ground black pepper and hemp seeds if desired. Serve immediately.
- Shirataki noodles are very low in calories and carbs and have low GI, but have no nutrients, so make sure to pair it with other nutrient-dense ingredients like hemp seed, mushrooms and green peas in this recipe!
- Shirataki noodles can cause stomach upset and indigestion for some people so eat in small portions to begin with and enjoy them in moderation.
- Do not skip the preparation steps for the shirataki noodles. It is essential to follow the steps exactly to optimize its taste and texture.
- You may replace hemp seeds with other neutral-tasting seeds or nuts such as sunflower seeds or cashew nuts.
- Feel free to top the pasta dish with extra proteins like roast chicken or grilled shrimps!