These baked sesame-crusted tofu steaks are soft on the inside, crisp on the outside and full of flavor. Tofu is a great source of protein, which can help keep you fuller for longer, and this dish is a delicious way to get more protein in your diet!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
- Drain tofu and cut into 0.5 in thick slices.
- Press tofu to remove excess water by placing tofu slices on a kitchen towel and placing another towel on top, and then pressing down gently.
- In a bowl, mix together tamari, monk fruit sweetener, sesame oil, rice vinegar and garlic. Marinate tofu in this mixture in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Beat an egg and place in a shallow bowl.
- Place white and black sesame seeds in another shallow bowl and mix until combined.
- Coat your tofu slices. First, let excess marinade drip off. Then, dip tofu in egg, and finally dip in sesame seeds, coating all sides. Repeat for all tofu slices.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer tofu to lined baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite sauce, steamed rice and vegetables. Enjoy!
- Serve crispy sesame tofu with steamed vegetables, rice or noodles for a balanced meal.
- You may substitute monk fruit sweetener with any other sweetener of choice.
- You may omit the egg to make this recipe vegan friendly. It will still be crispy but the coating will not be as thick.