Juicy, tender chicken in a rich, creamy curry sauce. You'll be making your sauce from scratch so it'll taste extra fresh, but don't be intimidated - this recipe is so easy to make and only requires one pan! It still tastes incredible when made with the dairy-free substitutions too.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 35 mins
3 - 4
- Mince garlic and dice onion. Set aside.
- Cut chicken thigh into smaller pieces.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat, and brown chicken pieces. Give a generous sprinkle of salt over the chicken while browning. Do note that they do not need to be fully cooked through at this stage. Once browned, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Melt another 1 tbsp butter in the same skillet, add onion and cook over low heat until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, garam masala, ginger, chilli and cumin. Stir to combine with onion.
- Add tomato sauce. Stir to combine then bring mixture to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then add cooking cream and yogurt.
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer, add browned chicken, and let simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with basmati rice or naan. Enjoy!
- Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to brown the chicken pieces in 2-3 batches in order not to over-crowd the skillet which would result in the chicken stewing in its own juices.
- Use natural, unflavored and unsweetened yogurt for this recipe.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, you may substitute vegan butter or a neutral oil for butter, cashew cream for cooking cream, and coconut yogurt or other plant-based yogurt (make sure it's unflavored) for natural yogurt. To make cashew cream, simply soak a handful of raw cashews in hot water for 5 minutes, drain, then blend with 1 cup of water until smooth and creamy.