Fragrant crispy potatoes and runny yolks, perfect breakfast dish that no one can turn down! This classic skillet breakfast dish is great for those savory mornings.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins
- Peel the potato skins off with a peeler then grate the potatoes into thin slices.
- Dice red bell peppers into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Place a large iron skillet on low to medium heat and add 3/4 tablespoon of butter, swirling across the skillet surface.
- Put remaining 1/4 tablespoon of butter in a smaller skillet for serving and set aside.
- Once the butter in the large skillet has melted with no clumps, add the grated potatoes and red bell peppers in an even layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Caramelize grated potatoes stirring back and forth until the potatoes are cooked and slightly golden brown.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the smaller skillet and create 3 pockets where the eggs will sit.
- Carefully crack the eggs into the pockets.
- Pop a lid onto the skillet and cook on low heat until egg whites are set.
- Garnish with parsley and an additional sprinkle of salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- If you prefer well cooked yolks, leave the skillet on the fire on low heat until the egg yolks turn into a lighter colour.
- This is best cooked on a cast iron skillet