This is the BEST healthy carrot cake ever! Made with wholegrain spelt flour, low fat Greek yogurt, and loaded with shredded carrot, raisins, chopped walnuts, coconut flakes, and topped with a healthier cream cheese frosting. Perfectly moist and yum!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 40 mins
Cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Line a bread tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add beaten egg, Greek yogurt, olive oil, milk, erythritol monkfruit sweetener and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in grated carrots, walnuts, raisins and desiccated coconut until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to lined bread tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until an inserted stick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Make frosting by whisking all ingredients for the frosting (except for desiccated coconut) until smooth and combined. The erythritol monkfruit sweetener might take a little while to dissolve but it will with a little patience.
- Spread frosting evenly on top of the cooled carrot cake.
- Garnish with desiccated coconut on top. Cut into slices and enjoy!
- I used skim milk but you can substitute with any milk (eg. almond milk) if you like.
- Feel free to substitute erythritol monkfruit sweetener with any other sweetener of choice. If using a liquid sweetener (eg. maple syrup), use 30ml and reduce decrease amount of milk to 30ml.
- Feel free to substitute whole wheat spelt flour with plain flour / whole wheat flour / gluten free flour blend of choice. I don't recommend using any other flours for this recipe.
- Feel free to omit raisins if you don't like them!
- Feel free to substitute walnuts with any other chopped nuts such as pecans.