These healthy fluffy waffles will satisfy your sweet tooth without packing in excess cream and butter. They're gluten free, sugar free, and high in fiber. Top it off with yogurt and fruits, and enjoy it as breakfast or dessert!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 10 mins
- Grab a large bowl and make sure it is clean and grease free.
- Separate 2 egg whites into the large bowl, and 2 egg yolks in a smaller bowl. Pop the egg white bowl in the freezer for about 15 mins.
- Add milk and vanilla extract into the bowl with 2 egg yolks.
- Add sifted flours (lupin, green banana, rice), baking powder to the bowl and mix well. Don't overmix it.
- Set aside.
Beat egg white
- Take the bowl from the freezer.
- Add salt to the mixture.
- Now beat the egg white mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 30 secs until it turns frothy.
- Then slowly add your sweetener in thirds and turn on your electric mixer to the highest speed.
- Beat the egg whites until it's smooth and glossy. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. It will take about 3 minutes. Make sure to not overbeat it.
- Now fold the meringue into the flour mixture in thirds. Mix well but do not overmix it.
- Grease your waffle maker/griddle with some oil.
- Follow the instructions of your waffle maker. Adjust your waffle maker based on how brown and crispy you want your waffles to be. I adjusted mine to medium brownness/crispiness.
- Wait for it to be preheated then add one scoop of the batter to each slot of your waffle maker. If you have a small waffle maker, then make one at a time. Waffles are tasty even when they're cooled.
- It takes about 4 mins for my waffle maker and it's done!
- Top it off with your favourite fruits, yogurt and dust some powdered sugar-free sweetener and enjoy!
- Lupin flour is really high in protein and fiber compared to other flours.
- Green banana flour is low in calories and high in fiber which makes these waffles higher in fiber than regular waffles.
- If you don't have lupin flour, you can replace it with other flours such as chickpea flour (which is quite high in protein) or you could use regular gluten free flour. Or you could use more rice flour.
- You can use vegan egg replacement if you follow a vegan diet.
- You can use regular caster sugar if you don't have zero-calorie sugar-free sweetener.
- Yogurt is relatively lower in calories compared to cream or butter.
- This recipe makes about 8-10 waffles.