This healthier french toast recipe not only tastes amazing but is also lower in sugar and higher in both protein and fiber than regular french toast! It's ideal for using up old, stale bread and can easily be made dairy-free as well. Enjoy topped with your favorite fruit and yogurt.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 10 mins
- In a large/wide bowl, whisk to combine egg, milk, cinnamon, stevia and vanilla extract.
- Slice bread into halves (so it's in the shape of a triangle).
- Heat up oil in a non-stick skillet over low heat.
- Dip one piece of bread into egg mixture for 1-2 seconds on each side, and transfer to skillet immediately. Cook for 1.5-2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Repeat steps for remaining slices of bread.
- Plate up your French toasts and top them off with yogurt, fruits and maple syrup (if using). Enjoy!
- Try to use old bread for this recipe so your French toast doesn't come out too soggy! If you only have fresh bread, you can dry it out by toasting it lightly and let cool before dipping in egg mixture.
- I used wholemeal bread but you can use whatever bread suits your dietary needs!
- Make sure you dip the bread in egg mixture one slice at a time, otherwise the French toast will become too soggy.
- To make this dairy-free, substitute milk with almond/coconut/oat milk and yogurt with coconut yogurt.
- Use any toppings you like! Some other ideas are: sliced strawberries, cinnamon apples, chocolate chips, Nutella or any nut butter.