These red velvet pancakes are made with a secret ingredient… beetroot! It's a great way to sneak some fiber and minerals into your stack of pancakes, not to mention the beautiful vibrant red color without using food coloring. Great for Valentine's Day breakfast or even just on those mornings when you are feeling a little extra!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
- Process rolled oats in a food processor or blender into a fine flour. Pour into a big mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder to mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Add mixture to mixing bowl and mix well until no lumps of flour remains.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan over low heat. Add a ladle of batter and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip, and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Serve pancakes with desired toppings.
- Make sure you use cooked beetroots. You can cook them ahead of time, either by steaming or baking. Raw beetroots will give your pancakes a bitter/earthy flavor.
- Cook these pancakes over low heat to keep the beautiful vibrant color. It will take a bit longer to cook but the results will be worth it!
- Feel free to experiment with any flour of your choice instead of oat.
- Use any sweetener you like in place of maple syrup and stevia.
- Use any toppings you like! Some suggestions are: butter, maple syrup, fresh fruits, lightly sweetened yogurt, nut butter or dark chocolate chips.