You won’t believe there’s no heavy cream needed in this unbelievably creamy and cheesy healthy alfredo sauce! Add chunks of juicy seared salmon and serve with low-carb shirataki spaghetti and you’ve got yourself an indulgent but secretly healthy meal!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
Prepare the shirataki noodles
- Drain the noodles, then rinse in a large sieve under tap water for a few minutes.
- Transfer noodles into a pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain noodles and transfer to a non-stick skillet.
- Pan fry the noodles (without any oil) over medium heat for a few minutes. This is to remove as much water as possible to enhance the texture of noodles. Keep turning the noodles with tongs and take care not to let them dry out too much. Now the noodles are ready.
- Heat up a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add salmon fillet and let sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown or until desired doneness.
- Remove from heat. Use a fork to flake it and set aside.
Make the sauce and assemble
- Heat up butter in the same skillet over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine with garlic.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Continue whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in milk. Cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly, until smooth and creamy.
- Add cream cheese and parmesan and whisk until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add salmon and spaghetti to skillet. Toss until everything is coated in the sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with chopped parsley and chilli flakes if desired. Enjoy!
- Use freshly grated parmesan for this recipe as pre-grated parmesan usually contain anti-caking agents and won’t melt into a silky smooth sauce!
- There's no need for oil when searing the salmon as salmon is a naturally fatty fish and it will release quite a bit of oil when cooking.
- If you wish to make this recipe even lower in fat, omit the butter and simply toast the garlic in a dry skillet until slightly golden, then add chicken stock and proceed with recipe as directed.
- Shirataki noodles can cause stomach upset and indigestion for some people so eat in small portions to begin with and enjoy in moderation.