These fluffy souffle Japanese pancakes are irresistible. They're light and melt in your mouth and lower in calories compared to regular pancakes due to its lower fat content. Serve with fresh berries and your favorite toppings
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
- Grab a large bowl and make sure it is clean and grease free.
- Separate 4 egg whites into the large bowl and pop it in the freezer for about 10-15mins. Split 2 egg yolks in another mixing bowl, and the remaining 2 yolks can be kept in the fridge for other recipes. We're only using 2 egg yolks in this recipe.
Prepare flour mixture
- Add milk and vanilla extract into the bowl with 2 egg yolks.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder and mix well. Don't overmix it.
- Set aside.
- Take the bowl from the freezer.
- Add cream of tartar and salt to the mixture.
- Now beat the egg white mixture with an electric mixer in medium speed for about 30 secs until it turns frothy.
- Then slowly add your sweetener in thirds and turn on your electric mixer to the highest speed.
- Beat the egg whites until it's smooth and glossy. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. It will take about 3 minutes. Make sure to not overbeat it.
- Now fold the meringue into the flour mixture in thirds. Mix well but do not overmix it
Making the pancakes
- Heat up 1 or 2 large pans over low heat (or the lowest heat on gas stove). Grease your pan(s) lightly with oil and wipe excess oil with paper towel. If you have two large pans then you can make all 6 pancakes in one go.
- Scoop 2 large (almost overflowing) tablespoons of the mixture to the pan for each pancake, making 3 pancakes each pan.
- Cover it for about 5 mins. Then add another 1 tablespoon of the mixture on top of the pancakes. Don't spread the mixture sideway if you want thicc pancakes. Stack it up high!
- Add about a tablespoon of hot water to the pan and then cover it to let it steam for another 5 mins.
- If you have any extra batter, stack it on top, add more hot water, then steam it for another 2 mins or so.
- Then open the lid and flip the pancakes around gently. Add more water to the pan and cook the pancakes for another 4 mins.
- Your pancakes are done! Add your favourite toppings, whipped cream or maple syrup. Dust some sugar free powdered sugar on top and enjoy!
- You can use regular caster sugar if you don't have zero calories sugar free sweetener.
- You can omit creams and have it plain with berries. It is tasty on its own too.
- Cream of tartar is not necessary if you put your egg whites in the freezer for 15 mins. But it helps to stabilize the meringue for baking or cooking for room temperature eggs.
- Make sure you don't overbeat your egg whites because it will deflate when you cook the pancakes. Do not underbeat it too, make sure it turned glossy and form stiff peaks.
- Make sure you stack the mixture upwards and not sideway if you want thick fluffy pancakes.
- This recipe makes about 5-6 pancakes depending on how wide your pancakes are.
- Cake flour produces softer pancakes but all purpose flour works as well.
- You can use plant based milk or full cream milk.