Fluffy, warm bread pudding with creamy, vanilla rum sauce, all whilst being practically sugar free. This recipe only requires a little prep time then just leave it to cook in the oven. It is a great way to use up stale bread and totally worth the wait. Plus your kitchen will smell amazing.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 45 mins
4 - 6
Vanilla Rum Sauce
- Preheat oven to 170°C / 338 °F.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with butter or oil of choice and set aside.
- Cut the bread into 3cm / 1.2in cubes.
- In a big mixing bowl, add eggs and beat until frothy.
- Add milk, monk fruit erythritol sweetener, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract to the mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Pour half of the milk mixture into the baking dish, then add all the bread cubes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour remaining milk mixture over the bread cubes. Give everything a stir.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or a toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
Vanilla Rum Sauce
- While the bread pudding is baking, prepare the sauce. In a small pot, add all ingredients for the sauce and whisk until combined.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble, then reduce to low heat and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the consistency resembles custard. Whisk or stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool slightly before serving with bread pudding.
- Use bread that is at least 1 day old for this recipe, otherwise the bread pudding will be too soggy. If you only have fresh bread, you can dry it out by toasting it lightly and let cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- I used wholemeal bread but you can use whatever bread suits your dietary needs.
- You can substitute monk fruit erythritol with any other sweetener of choice.
- To make this dairy-free, you can substitute milk with almond/coconut/oat milk, and butter with vegan margarine or coconut oil.
- The vanilla rum sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can substitute rum with whiskey, or omit completely if you can't take alcohol.