A delicious and nutritious quinoa bowl topped with proteins and veggies, served with a low sugar homemade satay sauce. High in protein and fiber, it's healthy and filling, and can be whipped up in under 30min!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
Make satay sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the satay sauce except for water in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add 3 tbsp of water and mix again until smooth. If you want a thinner sauce, add an extra 1 tbsp of water and mix again.
- Place chicken in a pot. Sprinkle salt and garlic powder all over it.
- Add cool water. Pour in enough water to cover the chicken by an inch or so.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring the water to a boil.
- As soon the water starts boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and let simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken breast registers 75°C / 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer chicken to a chopping board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Prepare the other ingredients
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook baby spinach by blanching in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove spinach from water with a slotted spoon.
- Make soft boiled eggs by bringing the same pot of water back to a boil. Gently and slowly add the eggs to the water. When the water starts boiling again, set a timer for 6 minutes.
- As the eggs are cooking, prepare a large bowl of ice water bath.
- As soon as the timer goes off, remove the eggs using a slotted spoon and immediately place them in the ice water bath.
- Peel the eggs and cut each one into halves.
- When ready to serve, assemble the bowls by placing half the quinoa into each bowl. Top with spinach, edamame, soft boiled eggs, sliced chicken and satay sauce. Top with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts. Enjoy!
- If you don't like runny egg yolk, you can boil the eggs for longer. Cook for 6-7 minutes for soft boiled eggs and 12-14 minutes for hard boiled eggs.
- Feel free to substitute quinoa with another whole grain like brown rice.
- All the ingredients for the quinoa bowl can be prepared ahead of time and just put together when ready to serve. Kept in the fridge, poached chicken and soft boiled eggs will last for 2-3 days, quinoa will last 7 days, and the satay sauce will last 5 days. If making ahead of time, use filtered water for the satay sauce.
- Feel free to substitute soy sauce with tamari and monk fruit sweetener with your preferred sweetener.