This easy chicken quinoa bowl is made with healthy and wholesome ingredients with a subtle nod to delicious southwestern flavors. It's great for meal prep or for a quick dinner on a busy weeknight!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
Make Shredded Chicken
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and put in chicken. Season the top of the chicken with salt and pepper. Let it sear for 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, and add chicken stock and the rest of the spices. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F / 75°C. You can check this using an instant read thermometer. Alternatively you can tell the chicken is cooked when the center is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet and shred using two forks.
Prepare the Other Ingredients and Assemble
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Cut tomatoes into halves, and slice avocado.
- Assemble your bowls by layering each one with salad greens, quinoa, tomatoes, shredded chicken, corn, black beans and avocado. Add a sprinkle of salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Finally, top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- For the shredded chicken, you can use thigh meat instead of breast if you prefer; it will be juicier but will take slightly longer to cook. If you use water instead of chicken stock, add a little bit of extra salt when poaching.
- Use any salad greens you like. I used a mix of baby spinach and arugula.
- Adjust spices according to your taste. Omit chilli if you don't like spicy.
- Substitute quinoa with brown rice if you like.
- Substitute chicken with any other proteins you like. Omit or use tofu to make this vegan/vegetarian-friendly.