A sugar-free version of a popular German side dish of braised sweet and sour red cabbage. It makes the perfect accompaniment to schnitzel, pork chop or really any hearty meat dishes. You can even put it in sandwiches!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 40 mins
- Thinly slice cabbage, and small dice onion and apple.
- Melt butter in a large pot and add onion. Cook on low heat until it begins to brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the pot and stir to combine. Cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the bottom is browning too quickly before the cabbage is cooked to desired tenderness, add a splash of water and continue cooking covered.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add more sweetener for more sweetness, more apple cider vinegar for more sourness etc.
- Serve with roasts or protein of choice. Enjoy!
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3 days. You may heat it up or serve it cold - your choice!
- You might need more or less monkfruit erythritol sweetener depending on how sweet or tart your apple is.
- Feel free to substitute monkfruit erythritol sweetener with any other sweetener.
- For dairy-free or vegan, substitute butter with olive oil.