A chicken quinoa salad bursting with tex mex flavors and ingredients. It's delicious, filling and flavorsome whilst still being healthy and nutritious!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and put in chicken. Season the top of the chicken with salt. Let it sear for 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, and add water. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F / 75°C. You can check this using an instant read thermometer. Alternatively you can tell the chicken is cooked when the center is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet and shred using two forks.
Prepare the other ingredients and assemble
- Dice roma tomatoes and avocados.
- Finely dice red onion and cilantro.
- Transfer all ingredients for the salad to a big mixing bowl and toss until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top salad with shredded poached chicken. Top with more chopped cilantro and black pepper if desired. Enjoy!
- If you want to reduce the pungency of raw onions, you can soak the diced onion in a big bowl of ice water for 10 minutes then drain before using in the recipe.
- Feel free to substitute chicken with another protein of choice.
- The salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.