Delicious vegan ribs made using tempeh! Marinate tempeh overnight with this homemade sugar-free barbecue sauce, then bake to your liking. It's a perfect healthier alternative to regular bbq ribs and full of protein too. You can also use store-bought sauce if you prefer.
Prep Time 2 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
Make BBQ sauce:
- Combine all ingredients except for tempeh in a pot. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. If mixture becomes too thick, simply thin it out with a little bit of water and let simmer until desired consistency.
- Let cool completely before using.
- Cut tempeh into strips.
- Cover tempeh strips with a generous amount of BBQ sauce. Let them marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook tempeh, preheat oven to 200°C / 392°F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Arrange marinated tempeh strips on lined baking tray, take care for them to not touch each other for maximum caramelization. Bake for 10 minutes, flip tempeh strips, and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with rice, noodles or steamed vegetables of choice!
- Serve BBQ tempeh ribs rice or noodles and some steamed vegetables for a balanced meal! These tempeh ribs are also excellent in a sandwich or a wrap.
- If you want the tempeh to be crispier, switch oven to grill for the final 3-5 minutes of baking.
- You can substitute monk fruit erythritol sweetener with any other sweetener of choice.
- Any leftover BBQ sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days.