Can you believe this meaty bolognese hides 6 different vegetables in it? Even the pickiest eater will enjoy this. It’s delicious, nutritious, and perfect for freezing so feel free to make a big batch for emergency comfort meals anytime.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
- Dice onion, carrot, zucchini, bell pepper and celery. Mince garlic.
- Heat up 1 tsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and zucchini and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all the vegetables to blender. Add tinned tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian herbs and blend until smooth.
- Give the skillet a brief rinse and dry it off. Heat up 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat and cook the beef mince until browned.
- Add vegetable sauce back to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season bolognese to taste with salt and pepper and serve over spaghetti or pasta of choice. Enjoy!
- The bolognese sauce will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer.
- When blending the vegetables, don’t blend for too long if you want the sauce to still be a bit chunky.
- If you have time, simmer the bolognese for longer (up to 2 hours over low heat) for a more flavorful sauce.
- Feel free to use beef mince, pork mince, or a mix of both.